What We’ve Accomplished
- Supported one time pension increases (1985 – 1995)
- In 1993 we supported a constitutional amendment to keep our retirement trust funds from being used for any other purpose.
- Advocacy for the 1.5% Guaranteed Annual Benefit Adjustment (GABA) in 1997 and the GABA increase to 3% in 2001.
- In 2009 we proposed and obtained passage of HB 315, which provides an inflationary adjustment to the base amount of pension and annuity income that is exempt from state income taxes.
- In 2013 we filed a lawsuit and were granted a preliminary injunction that prevented the implementation of a reduction in the GABA for current retirees.
- In 2015 the district court issued a permanent injunction and the lawsuit was settled without an appeal to the state supreme court.
- Succeeded in convincing MPERA to return to mailing change of benefit notices to retirees.