What We’ve Accomplished
- 1985 – 1995: Supported one-time pension increases.
- 1993: Supported a constitutional amendment to keep retirement trust funds from being used for any other purpose.
- 1997 and 2001: Advocacy for the 1.5% Guaranteed Annual Benefit Adjustment (GABA) and the GABA increase to 3% respectively.
- 2009: Proposed and obtained passage of HB 315, which provides an inflationary adjustment to the base amount of pension and annuity income that is exempt from state income taxes.
- 2013: Filed a lawsuit and were granted a preliminary injunction that prevented the implementation of a reduction in the GABA for current retirees.
- 2015: District court issued a permanent injunction and the lawsuit was settled without an appeal to the state supreme court.
- Succeeded in convincing MPERA to return to mailing change of benefit notices to retirees.